Gutter Repairs: Your gutter is an important part of your home. It keeps water from collecting on your roof and damaging the foundation of your property. You may find issues with your gutters such as slopes, leaks, and joint separation.
This article will discuss the types of gutter damage and what it takes to fix them.
Gutter leaks are one of the most common types of gutter issues. They are usually caused by one of three factors.
- Loose Fastener: Some gutters have fasteners attached across the top of the trough. If a fastener came loose, it would create a hole allowing rainwater to leak through.
- Cracks: Strain or impact can cause cracks in the gutter that water can leak through.
- Holes: Corrosion or worn-out caulk causes holes.
A leak in the gutter can be easily fixed. Holes and cracks can be patched. Loose fasteners can be tightened and replaced. After the gutter repairs are done, new caulk can be applied thus preventing future leaks.
Gutter Joint Separation
Gutter joint Separation is a common issue with traditional gutters. The clogs strain the joints causing them to separate.
Sealant can be used to reattach the joints. Follow these steps to prevent gutter joint separation.
- Investing in a gutter cleaning service to clean gutters regularly/
- Investing in a gutter protection system.
- Investing in seamless gutters that don’t have joints.
Damage and improper installation cause improper sloping.Follow these steps to help with the situation.
- Measure the gutter slope.
- Start on the section of the gutter farthest from the downspout and measure the space from the roof edge
to the top of the gutter.
- Take the same measurement at the opposite end near the downspout.
- Loosen the screws holding the gutter brackets to separate the gutter from the building.
- Make a chalk line from the highest mark to the mark by the downspout.
- Place the gutter back against the fascia and line it up with the chalk line.
- Tighten the gutter brackets
- Check your work by running a gutter hose in the gutter.
- Reassemble the downspout.
At North Texas Gutters. We provide provide quality gutter repairs. Contact us to find out what we have to offer.
Want to learn more? Check out this article from Better Homes and Garden