The rain gutters on your home are prone to getting clogged preventing them from functioning properly. It’s advisable to clean them out on a regular basis to ensure they keep your home safe from moisture that can damage your property. But how often should they be cleaned? This article will tell you all you need to know.
How Often Should I Clean My Gutters?
Generally, you should clean your gutters at least twice a year. However, if you have a good amount of foliage near your home that may fall into your gutters, you should clean them out as often as once every three months.
Factors That Cause You to Clean Your Gutters More Often
There are certain factors that may cause you to do additional cleanings such as rains and storms.
When there is heavy rainfall in the forecast, it’s wise to go up on the roof to ensure your system is clear. That way, you can feel confident that it will be working to keep water out of your home’s foundation when it rains.
You may also want to check your gutters as frequently as once a month if your area is prone to pests.
Mosquitos are attracted to standing water while carpenter ants can collect due to debris that spends a long time in your gutter. Checking your gutters monthly will make you aware of pests so you can get rid of them before an infestation occurs.
What are the Best Seasons for Cleaning Your Gutters?
It is best to clean your gutters in the spring and fall. The spring is a good time to clean your gutters as it will prevent unwelcome pests from infesting your home in the coming months.
The fall is also a good time for a cleaning as it will ensure that your roof is ready for coming winter storms.
Gutter Cleaning Tips
If you decide to clean your gutter yourself, here are some tips that will help you do so effectively:
- Wear Goggles: Goggles will protect your eyes from debris.
- Have Someone Help You: Cleaning your gutters usually requires you to get on the roof using a ladder. Have someone nearby to ensure you don’t fall.
- Take What You Need with You: Your task will require materials such as a hose, sealant, and a plumber’s snake. Place them somewhere you can easily reach them to avoid going up and down the ladder multiple times.
- Use a Garbage Bag to Collect Debris: Once you pick up debris, put it in a garbage bag to avoid it collecting on your lawn.
- Look for Leaks: Look for leaks while cleaning. If you find leaks, apply a high-quality sealant to stop water seepage.
- Check Your Downspout: In addition to checking your gutters, you must also check your downspouts to ensure they are free of clogs that can keep water from draining freely.
Missing a gutter cleaning can have damaging effects. If you don’t feel confident taking on the task, don’t hesitate to call North Texas Gutters. We will do a thorough job and ensure your home stays in the best shape possible.
If you have any question please contact us or call (940) 453-8842